The mid-Feb struggle is real. Everyone is going on vacay, the weather is all over the map and you are so, SO sick of wearing snowboots every day. Your feet are desperate for a pedi but what's the point? Unless you're lucky enough to be headed somewhere tropical, your toes won't see the sunlight for another few months anyway. So what's one to do? Why, shop, of course!
Clear out your closet of anything that doesn't fit, doesn't flatter and doesn't make you feel amazeballs. It's the Family Day long weekend so you have an extra day to do some early spring cleaning. Okay, done? Now, it's time for a few updates. Here are 5 easy ways to upgrade your wardrobe right now:
1) LAYER UP - There are loads of tempting silk camis and slip dresses in stores but it's way too early to go sleeveless. Here's the fix: take a body-con white, black or grey long-sleeve tee or bodysuit and layer your cami or slipdress over top. You'll look cool and current and ready for spring, even if the weather's not.
2) GET NEW (OLD) JEANS - Denim has made a trip back to the '90s with stiff, selvedge jeans replacing the stretchy skinnies of the past several seasons. From high-waisted mom jeans to stiff straight-legs to clean, classic bootcuts, the most on-point pairs of jeans look refreshingly new, yet oh-so-familiar.
3) STATEMENT SLEEVES - When it comes to tops this season, sleeves are anything but an afterthought. Look for bell sleeves, dramatic flounces and cool tie-up details to add loads of interest to your top half. Waves, high-fives and dabs highly encouraged.
4) THE NEW COLD SHOULDER - If you fell in love with cold shoulder tops last summer, you'll be happy to hear that they're back and more interesting than ever this season. Ruffle details, pretty florals and nautical stripes will get your wardrobe right up to speed.
5) BLOCK PARTY - So, open-toes aren't an option quite yet. But whether you're heading somewhere hot or just want to have some new shoes to get excited about for the minute the snow melts, remember that for Spring '17, it's all about the block heel. We love the sturdy comfort of a stacked heel so you can get the height you crave without the wobble.
Scroll down for some of my top picks to shop now. Happy long weekend!
1. Kismet Cropped Tank, $4.99, Bootlegger; 2. Satin Slip Cami, $19.95, Dynamite; 3. Tank Top with Banded Back Detail, $34.95, Dynamite; 4. Dotted Slip Dress with Lace Hem, $48, Suzy Shier; 5. Satin Slip Cami, $19.95, Dynamite.
1. Guess Step Hem Jean, $118, Bootlegger; 2. Raw Edge Jeans, $49.95, Dynamite; 3. Relaxed Slim Boyfriend Jeans, $59.95, Dynamite; 4. Original Comfort Straight Leg Jeans, $49.90, Reitmans; 5. Yoga Jeans High-Rise Bootcut Jeans, $159.99, Jean Machine.
1. Sweatshirt with Tied Bell Sleeves, $39.95, Dynamite; 2. Bell Sleeve Floral Top, $34.95, Dynamite; 3. Bell Sleeve Sheath Dress, $42, Suzy Shier; 4. Satin Blouse with Bell Sleeves, $39.95, Dynamite; 5. Chiffon Drama Sleeve Blouse, $54.95, Le Château.
1. Cold Shoulder Blouse, $53, American Eagle; 2. Ruffle Cold Shoulder Top, $29.95, Garage; 3. Ruffle Cold Shoulder Top, $29.95, Dynamite; 4. Cold Shoulder Striped Sweater, $54.90, Reitmans; 5. Floral Cold Shoulder Top, $34.95, Dynamite.
1. Platform Sandal, $110, ALDO; 2. Black Suede Slides, $85, ALDO; 3. Stacked Heel Sandal, $120, ALDO; 4. Woven Leather Shootie, $120, ALDO; 5. Navy Open-Toe Bootie, $59.99, Call It Spring; 6. Block Heel Sandal, $85, ALDO.